Tiong Bahru Heritage Walk #100
What stories lie behind this charming conservation neighbourhood dating back to the 1930s? Who are these streets named after? Explore the charming corners, picturesque alleys and great food offerings of Tiong Bahru with our heritage guides!
Each of our walks is guided by our passionate and experienced volunteers, some of whom have lived in Tiong Bahru for many years. Walk with us and learn more about the rich heritage of Singapore's oldest public residential estate - from stories of prominent pioneer community leaders such as Tan Tock Seng and Tan Kim Cheng, to residents who were born in the air raid shelter during World War II, to religion and rituals, culture and food, and more.
MEETING POINT: Tiong Bahru Community Centre Admin Office (access via gate between Blocks 72 and 77 Seng Poh Road, or via gate between Blocks 74 and 75 Tiong Poh Road). Tel: 63235838
Our walks are free of charge, but we gratefully accept donations that will go towards supporting renovation works for Tiong Bahru Community Centre.
Approximate duration: 2 hours
Please aim to arrive at least 10 minutes before start time.
Walks might be cancelled in the event of very heavy rain.
There is no need to print your ticket. Please arrive early to register at the CC.
- Bring a small torchlight, or install a flashlight app on your mobile phone.
- Bring a earpiece (compatible with mobile phones/mp3 players) to connect to our portable wireless radioguide, so that you can hear our guides better.
- Wear comfortable attire and footwear
- Use sunblock, sunglasses and insect repellent
- Have a bottle of water with you
- Pack an umbrella or poncho. Walks will continue in light rain.
- If you drive, please arrive early as parking spaces are very limited on weekends. Please use the car park behind Block 78 Guan Chuan Street, which is a 3-minute walk from the Tiong Bahru CC.
Please us send your questions through this Peatix system.
Subscribe to email notifications of future events (click FOLLOW):
For more information on Tiong Bahru and photos of our previous walks, find us on Facebook:
THANK YOU FOR YOUR SUPPORT!
Below: Tucked below Block 78 Moh Guan Terrace/Guan Chuan Street/Yong Siak Street is an air raid shelter which served (and saved) the residents during the intensive air shellings of Singapore in 1941-42. Don't miss this rare opportunity to visit the shelter and hear about how residents survived the wartime in Singapore's first public bomb shelter in a residential estate .
10:00 AM - 12:00 PM SGT
- Venue Address
- Tiong Bahru Community Centre, 67A Eu Chin Street Singapore
Meeting Point: Tiong Bahru CC Admin Office (access via gate between Blocks 72 and 77 Seng Poh Road, or via gate between Blocks 74 and 75 Tiong Poh Road). Tel: 63235838