Recycling & Packaging: Where do they meet? - Circular Economy & Waste, Get Wasted Session 5
This is the 5th event of our pressing "Get Wasted" series on 'Circular Economy & Waste Management' in Asia.
Of the 311 million tonnes of plastic produced each year, a whopping 26% is used in packaging. After a short use, often only a single use, more than 95% is not recycled!
With growing urbanization these numbers are set to grow exponentially - the average Indian consumes 11kg of plastic each year while the average American consumes over a 100 kgs each year.
What about Bio Plastic? Biodegradable Plastic? Bio Benign plastic? Are they really better? As businesses explore alternatives to plastic, we have yet to arrive at the perfect solution that addresses the different parameters of cost & function as well as recyclability & harm due to leakage.
Metal, paper and glass also present their own challenges, especially when even countries with the best recycling rates barely touch 50%.
Our speakers will focus on packaging design, material choice and how those influence collection & recycling rates through an interactive presentation, case studies and open discussion.
This session aims to shed light on the current packaging situation in the world and especially in Asia, to look what are the different options to both reduce the amount of packaging produced each year & to ensure that packaging is sustainable. It will be the occasion to dive into current topical debates such as the bio-based vs. plastic-based packaging OR recyclability properties claimed by companies vs. what is really being recycled OR current strategy attempts such as "take-back" system.
We look forward to stimulating discussions not only on packaging design, material choice and encourage companies to use sustainable packaging!
- Packaging reality in the world, Asia & in Singapore.
- Understand the packaging value chain.
- The different packaging types (biodegradable, compostable, plastic, flexibles etc.) and their potential for reuse / recycle.
- Understand top sustainability mistakes when it comes to packaging in Asia.
- Focus on the difference between biodegradable/ compostable/ plant-based packaging and plastic-based packaging.
- Understand case studies & innovations happening in Singapore and the world - ie. Dole Food Labelling, Danone, Unilever.
- 6.30pm ~ Introduction + Icebreaker
- 7.00pm ~ Welcome from our partner the Global Compact Network Singapore by Wilson Ang, Executive Director
- 7.05pm ~ Ashwin Subramaniam, CEO & Founder at Gone Adventurin
- 7.20pm ~ Ian Hayes, Packaging Director at GlaxoSmithKline
- 7.35pm ~ Amita Chaudhury - Regional Director, Sustainable Business, SEA & Australasia at Unilever
- 7.50pm ~ Q&A session and Panel Discussion
- 8.30pm ~ Networking
Ashwin has led Gone Adventurin’s Waste Management and Circular Economy projects in India, Indonesia and Philippines with various MNC’s. He is passionate about the business opportunities in solving social and environmental challenges, and in contributing to the Singapore community. He led AIESEC in Singapore during university years and co-founded a community farm in Yio Chu Kang with his wife & neighbours. Outside of social business, he is a keen adventurer and cyclist, practices mindfulness and is always curious about earth sciences & the relationship between humans and our natural world.
Gone Adventurin reserves the right to revise the programme or change the facilitator should circumstances so warrant. In the event of any change in date or venue, or the cancellation of the event, the participants will be notified prior to the event. By filling up this event, I hereby agree and consent that my personal data provided in this form may be collected, used, processed and disclosed by Gone Adventurin for the purposes of processing my registration to the event, invitations to future events and online surveys; marketing and promotional activities on print and social media, in accordance with the Personal Data Protection Act 2012 and all subsidiary legislation related thereto. Photos and videos taken at events will be used for Gone Adventurin's publicity & marketing materials.
- The event description was updated. Diff#291186 2017-10-31 09:26:24
6:30 PM - 8:30 PM SGT
Standard (Food, Beers & Drinks) SOLD OUT $15.00
- Venue Address
- 128 Prinsep Street, #01-01 Singapore 188655 Singapore