Learning Second Language in the Age of Technology
A Workshop by David Moser
Suitable for both language educators and parents.
In this age of social media and digital technology, how can we use all these technologies to facilitate the teaching and learning of our mother tongues, especially in a bilingual environment? In this workshop, celebrated linguist and writer David Moser will examine pertinent topics including the advantages and disadvantages of social networking; how to create a computer environment conducive to language acquisition; digital technology to facilitate learning of Chinese characters and other scripts; text-to-speech and speech-to-text tools and their advantages; as well as language mixing and classroom versus home language learning.
Participants could come away with the following:
• A better understanding of the basic linguistics and psycholinguistics of language learning;
• Suggestions for how to structure home language use to encourage bilingualism;
• Advice for coping with the social pressures preventing full bilingualism;
• Demonstration of and training on using new digital tools and technology to facilitate language learning;
• Awareness of how to make use of ubiquitous social networking platforms to promote second language use.
A Tale of Two Languages
- Lecture I: The Past, Present and Future of Mandarin
- Lecture II: Language Matters: For Creativity and Dignity – A Writer’s Perspective
- Let's Learn Our National Language
- Comics Translation Workshops: An Introduction
- The Blue Forest: Translation Workshops for Children
For more information about TranslateSingapore 2017 programmes and to get tickets, please click here.
TranslateSingapore is back for the third year as we celebrate “SG Translation Month”! Click here to find out more about the highlights this year.
ABOUT DAVID MOSER
David Moser 莫大伟 holds a Master’s and a PhD in Chinese Studies from the University of Michigan. He has been based in Beijing for over 25 years, active in academic and media circles. He is currently Academic Director at CET Chinese Studies at Beijing Capital Normal University, where he teaches courses in Chinese history and politics. He appears often on BBC radio as a commentator and is also a frequent China analyst on Al Jazeera television. He has worked at China Central Television (CCTV) in Beijing as a programme advisor, translator, and host, and continues to be active on Chinese television as a commentator in both Chinese and English. Moser is also co-host of the Sinica Podcast, an influential China current affairs podcast widely listened to by journalists and China watchers throughout the world. Moser is author of the book A Billion Voices: China's Search for a Common Language, published by Penguin.
- The event description was updated. Diff#266739 2017-08-03 07:09:33
3:00 PM - 5:00 PM SGT
Standard SOLD OUT $30.00 Students and senior citizens SOLD OUT $26.00
- Venue Address
- 1 Old Parliament Lane, Singapore 179429 Singapore
5 to 10-min walk from City Hall, Clarke Quay and Raffles Place MRT stations. For list of buses: theartshouse.sg/visit
The Select Centre4,392 Followers