Let's BBQ and rediscover our Southern Islands in a fun way
In a glimpse of what we will be sharing:
1) It was the world's largest quarantine centre by 1920s and it could screen 400,000 people every year on this tiny island where mainland Singapore in 1923 had only 458,000 people. We will attempt to show you some of the quarantine facilities.
2) A race called Kolek race that is well loved by the islanders and S5 islanders. A 1938 newspaper report even compared that to the prestigious Sydney Harbour regattas. Find out who is part of the S5 and how S5 festival is celebrated. We might play their games too.
3) During the Japanese occupation, Lim Bo Seng's family fled to St John Island and the Japanese Imperial Army used the island to kill people. Amazingly Lim Bo Seng family survived. We will get to experience how the Japanese Imperial Army decides who to kill.
4) By 1950s St John island became known as the St John University among the political dissidents. Famous political dissidents like Francis Seow and our 3rd President Devan Nair were once detained in the island. And our late ex-PM Lee Kuan Yew acted as their lawyer would visit them regularly along with PM Lee Hsien Loong. Find out how the political dissidents feel about the island.
5) Along with housing the political dissidents, the island was also the centre for drug treatment and was subsequently phased out in the 1970s.
6) Find out why in 1968 Singapore Tourism Board named Lazarus Island as the Treasure Island. And a little island that no longer exists called Palau Ringgit ($1 Island) that were subsequently reclaimed and became part of Lazarus Island.
7) Due to Asia financial crisis, by 1998, 7600 illegal immigrants have flocked to Singapore. It was used as a holding place for illegal immigrants.
And so much more.
What and how did Japanese use this big chessboard?
Come join us for a Sunday fun day outing and rediscover some little-knowns secrets of our Southern Islands in a fun way. It will be a fun day of exploring and experiential learning about St John Island and Lazarus Island. We have also engaged a Kin-ball instructor in teaching us how to play this latest game in town.
That is not all, we will be having BBQ lunch too. If that is not enough, I believe Lazarus and St John Island have one of those best-kept secrets beaches of Singapore. After which you can island hop to Kusu Island before returning to the mainland.
For BBQ lunch we are having cup otah, chicken satay, buffalo wing, fishball, hot dog, crab stick, garlic bread, crispy cuttlefish, mushroom, butter corn, fried rice, fried beehoon, and honey sea coconut.
The itinerary for the day is as follows:
8:30 am: Meet at Marina South Pier
10 am: Reach St John Island and start fun discovery
1 pm: BBQ lunch
3 pm: Take ferry back to Kusu Island or mainland Singapore or free and easy.
Pricing is all-inclusive, i.e. including:
- Return ferry ticket
- BBQ lunch
Please read through the following terms of participation before RSVP:
DISCLAIMER: Your safety and well-being during the trip are your sole responsibility. By RSVP for this event, you have confirmed that you have read, acknowledged, agreed and accepted the terms and conditions of participating this trip.
By WEIRDOFREAKO OUTDOOR PTE. LTD. - TA License No: 02937
- The event description was updated. Diff#259435 2017-07-05 15:16:19