MaGIC Academy: Start-Up 101: It's about Building Business, not Tech
Its very easy to be seduced by the coolness and hype that is start-up, but when the chances of success are similar to winning a national lottery, it is important to know what you are getting into, when considering starting your own venture, or having just got one up. This workshop will allow participants to identify the fundamentals required when starting up a new venture, understand the key areas a founder should focus on, and map out a pathway to get from idea to business.
Most founders, due to their limited start-up experience, fall into very common start-up traps: they focus on development of products or services at the expense of developing the commercial side of the business; they develop a product or service that they believe will meet a perceived customer need and market demand, without validating the needs or determining the scale (and potential value) of the demand; they don’t consider their cash needs and end up in the Valley of Death.
1. Fundamentals of Start-Up Success
- Identify the most common reasons for start-up failure – understand how to address them
- Identify the difference between an idea, a product / service and a business
- Overview of the essential ingredients of planning for a successful business
2. Commercialization – Creating a Business out of an Idea
- Understand that it’s not about the product, but all about the business – and how to create a business from a product
- Understand that commercialization is the pathway from idea to business, and the key stages of commercialization
- Learn what is required to plan and execute a successful commercialization strategy
Anyone who is looking to start their own venture, already got one running and everyone else who wants to know how to run a business proper!
Raiyo Nariman is currently the MD and a Partner in Mercatus Ventures, a Malaysian-based early stage investment and venture advisory firm, which invests in, and then takes a hands-on role to develop regional ventures. He is also a Partner in Serendipity Ventures, a Hong Kong-based boutique venture management firm, where he personally invests in early stage ventures and takes them to market.
0930 : Registration
1000 : Workshop : Startup Success
1300 : Lunch (provided)
1400 : Workshop : Commercialization
1630 : End
Sessions will be focused on presentations in English
Dress smart but remain casual
- Bring along your own laptop for optimal learning
- Venue Address was changed to "Level 3, @CAT Penang, No. 15, 16 & 17 Pengkalan Weld, No. 37 & 39, Gat Lebuh Cina, di atas Lot 230, Seksyen 23, 10300, George Town, D.T.L, Penang". Orig#181503 2016-07-22 08:01:07
9:30 AM - 4:30 PM MYT
Standard SOLD OUT RM20.00 Promo Code SOLD OUT RM20.00
- Venue Address
- Level 3, @CAT Penang, No. 15, 16 & 17 Pengkalan Weld, No. 37 & 39, Gat Lebuh Cina, di atas Lot 230, Seksyen 23, 10300, George Town, D.T.L, Penang Malaysia