Introduction to Screenwriting (April 6 - April 22) - Attend LIVE or ONLINE
Topics covered include:
- Writing characters the audience cares about
- Building a workable outline
- Writing memorable dialogue
- Subverting cliches and using themes
- Formatting rules
- Scripting a scene
- Creating a treatment via story beats
- When to rewrite and what to focus on
Act 1: Characters & Structure
Class 1 introduction:
Through key concepts and practical approaches, students will practice effective methods behind character creation, story structure, and outlining their screenplay.
- (Lead) Character Creation
- Underdogs, Friends, and Villains
- Genre Expectations
- 3 Acts or 5 Acts?
- Adapting Japanese Storytelling Techniques
- Outlining With Confidence
Act 2: Templates, Themes & Dialogue
Class 2 introduction:
Focusing on core topics such as dialogue, themes, and characters arcs, students will discover confidence in their own voice as they learn essential elements in creating original, rewarding screenplays.
- Hero’s Journey VS. The Story Wheel
- To Arc...Or Not?
- When To Add The Theme
- Hooks: Dramatic Irony, The Ticking Clock, and more
- Subverting Cliches and Tropes
- Dialogue, Dialogue, Dialogue
- Your Style VS. Audience Need
- Creating “Spielberg Moments” And Writing A Memorable Scene
Act 3: Mechanics & The Full Script
Class 3 introduction:
In this final class, students will discover the practical techniques behind developing a troublesome treatment into a successful script, formatting, pacing, and more!
- Treatments and Elevator Pitches
- Plot Beats and Post-it Notes
- Rules of Formatting
- The Novel VS. The Screenplay
- Scripting A Scene:
- The Intent
- Starting From The Middle
- How To Write Action
- When To Write Nothing
- Working On Two Scripts To Save One
- Rules of Rewriting
- Finishing Touches
- Monday 6th April - Week 1
- Monday 13th April - Week 2
- Wednesday 22nd April - Week 3
About Brad Freeman
Born in New Zealand and based in Tokyo, Bradley Freeman was responsible for writing and directing several short and feature length films, as well as working behind the scenes on the big budget 2007 Japanese film, Dororo.
The author of three novels, and with 12+ years of experience in Japan, Bradley’s classes are designed to introduce realistic, practical exercises to increase confidence and help screenwriters make progress on their work.
- Title was changed to "Introduction to Screenwriting (April 6 - April 22) - Attend LIVE or ONLINE". Orig#538285 2020-03-28 04:30:49
7:00 PM - 9:30 PM JST
General Admission SOLD OUT ¥15,000 Attend Online SOLD OUT ¥15,000
- Venue Address
- Endo Building 2F, ２丁目-９-14 水道, 文京区 Japan