MaGIC Academy: Pitching to Corporations - Why, When & How
Yap Sui Lin is a manager in the corporate strategy / internal consulting team of EMC (a Fortune #128 technology multinational) in Silicon Valley. She and her team drive EMC's most strategic and transformational initiatives across product business units, sales and services. She also sits on a committee that analyzes and proposes start-ups for EMC to invest or acquire.
Prior to EMC, Sui Lin was in Harvard Business School’s (HBS) PhD program focusing on strategy and entrepreneurship in emerging markets. She graduated early with a Masters after discovering real-time strategic decision-making to be more exciting than studying by the sidelines. As part of her research at HBS, Sui Lin initiated, project-managed and contributed to projects in technology, consumer retail, financial services, and the social sector in 5 countries (US, China, India, Bangladesh, Rwanda). She also designed and taught entrepreneurial strategy workshops to her project clients and 200+ Harvard students.
Outside of work and marathon running, Sui Lin serves as a judge and mentor for start-ups competing in the Kauffman Foundation and State Department’s business plan contests.
Overview & Key Takeaways:
Corporations are increasingly backing start-ups to reinvest surplus cash and access new innovation. It is estimated that corporate venture capital accounted for ~20% of all deals and and ~40% of transaction value worldwide in 2013. In this workshop, we’ll discuss:
1. How corporate VC teams are similar / different from traditional VCs when they evaluate start- ups
2. Why and when you should pitch to corporations for strategic investments
3. What are effective pitching strategies when seeking investments from corporations
- 6.30pm - Talk starts
- 7.30pm - Break
- 7.45pm - Talk resumes
- Title was changed to "MaGIC Academy: Pitching to Corporations - Why, When & How". Orig#92693 2015-05-19 15:33:01
6:30 PM - 8:30 PM MYT
MaGIC Tickets FULL
- Venue Address
- MaGIC, Block 3730 Persiaran APEC, 63000 Cyberjaya. Malaysia