Comics Drawing Workshop for Kids
By Peejay Catacutan
COMICS AND TRANSLATION: IT’S NOT JUST IN THE BUBBLE
TranslateSingapore takes a close look at the translation of comics in all its colourful forms – from graphic novels and Japanese manga to European bande dessinée and comics from Southeast Asia. Join award-winning comic artists, translators and publishers from Indonesia, Malaysia, the Philippines, Singapore, Vietnam, Europe and the US as we explore how this popular medium is used to engage with cross-cultural representations and understanding.
Lim Cheng Tju, an educator who writes about history and popular culture, is the advisor to the “Comics and Translation” programmes. The programmes will be in English.
Family and Children Programmes
- The Blue Forest: Translation Workshops for Children
- The Blue Forest: a Dramatised Reading in Three Languages
- Why Translation Matters In Comics
- Venturing Abroad: Singapore Comics Translated For Overseas
- Translating Comics: The Translators Speak
- Comics From Southeast Asia: A Cross-Cultural Bridge?
- In The Crosshairs: Using Comics to Tackle Social Issues
- Image vs Text: Which comes first?
- Editing and Translating Comics
For more information about TranslateSingapore 2017 programmes and to get tickets, please click here.
TranslateSingapore is back for the third year as we celebrate “SG Translation Month”! Click here to find out more about the highlights this year.
ABOUT PEEJAY CATACUTAN
Peejay Catacutan is a Manila-based illustrator, comic book creator, and the Art Director for OSSM Comics, an independent comic book company based in California, US. His first series, which was written by Omar Spahi of OSSM Comics, called XenoGlyphs was published in 2011 and since then, he has worked on several titles under the publishing company. In 2016, under Chopsoy Comics, he published his first local comic book entitled Buster, which sparked interest both locally and abroad. It also received good reviews at the New York Comic Convention in 2016. Jess Española, the Emmy Award-winning animator and assistant director of The Simpsons called it: “IMPRESSIVE.” He is currently working on the next volume of Buster and a possible cartoon series based on one of OSSM Comic’s titles, Separators.
- The event description was updated. Diff 2017-08-21 07:44:50
11:00 AM - 1:00 PM SGT
- Venue Address
- 1 Old Parliament Lane, Singapore 179429 Singapore
5 to 10-min walk from City Hall, Clarke Quay and Raffles Place MRT stations. For list of buses: theartshouse.sg/visit
The Select Centre3,317 Followers