Exercises in Empathy (part of Festival for Good)
If emotional intelligence is the foundation of our new economy, then empathy is the cement that holds the bedrock together. Based on our years of experience running experiential learning courses for social impact all over the world, Skillseed finds it increasingly important to equip our volunteers with empathy prior to their volunteering or project stint, making the pre-project preparations just as important as the actual project itself. Skilled and prepared volunteers who know how to interact appropriately and sensitively with beneficiaries can reduce misunderstandings amongst stakeholders and are more likely to successfully achieve the objectives of the volunteer or social impact project.
During this 2-hr workshop and discussion session, participants can look forward to:
- Understanding Skillseed’s vision and mission for skilled and sustainable volunteerism
- Experiencing one of Skillseed’s Empathy Exercises (think of them as hands-on, team-building activities with the purpose of fostering a greater capacity for empathy)
- Practical insights from the Skillseed team based on past experiences
- A facilitated discussion on how we can better prepare our students and/or company staff for collaborating with and serving a diversity of beneficiaries. We welcome educators and CSR managers to share their experiences with the group.
This Event Will be Great For:
- School educators and administrators who manage Values-in-Action (VIA) projects, Creativity, Activity and Service (CAS) projects and/or Community Involvement Projects (CIP)
- Corporate Social Responsibility (CSR) Managers of corporations who prepare staff for volunteering stints
- Teachers-in-charge of social entrepreneurship curriculum or projects in their school
- School Guidance or Career Counsellors who are interested to include social sector internships for their students
- Individuals engaged in facilitation work, formally or informally!
- Anyone interested in exploring their capacity for empathy, or facilitating experiences that cultivate empathy in others
Target Group Size:
We will only run the session if we reach a minimum of 12 participants. We charge a humble fee to cover refreshments and materials. Participants will be refunded in the event that the session does not hit the minimum number required. We will cap the event at a maximum of 24 participants so as to allow more time for an in-depth discussion.
3.45pm - 4.00pm: Registration
4.00pm - 4.15pm: Introductions and Overview of Skillseed's mission and vision
4.15pm - 5.00pm: Hands-on Empathy Exercise
- Our location: Our entrance is a blue, foldable gate beside 1 Tyrwhitt Cafe and Bistro and we are located on the 3rd level which is the topmost floor (climbing of stairs required - participants with mobility issues might find this an issue). You will see our Skillseed logo on the door located to the left end of the corridor.
- What to wear: Please wear comfortable clothing as we will be sitting on our (clean) office floor during the Empathy Exercise and the discussion session. We do not encourage the wearing of short skirts or restrictive clothing.
- What does your $5 fee go towards? For workshop materials and light refreshments as this is a not-for-profit event.
Since 2013, we have run social impact courses in over 10 countries, generated over 10,000 skilled volunteering hours and channeled over SGD 150,000 to our global community partners. We are the selected training partners for programs of esteemed organizations such as raiSE (Singapore Center for Social Enterprise), SPD (Serving People with Disabilities) and more.
4:00 PM - 6:00 PM SGT
- Venue Address
- 1B Tyrwhitt Road Singapore
Our entrance is a blue, foldable gate beside 1 Tyrwhitt Cafe & Bistro. We are the leftmost unit on the 3rd level (the top floor); we regret that there is no lift and participants with mobility issues will face severe challenges.