MaGIC Academy: Startup 101- Realizing Potential & Create Business Opportunity (Kota Kinabalu, Sabah)
Start-ups are cool. Start-ups are about beanbags and hoodies. Start-ups are the way to make millions, maybe even billions – Instagram’s sale of USD1Bn and what's app’s sale for USD19Bn are key examples. When people often hear the word ‘startup’, these are some of the thoughts that come to mind – startups are about fun, about technology, about the potential to make a lot of money.
It's very easy to focus on the coolness and hype that is the start-up, but when the chances of success are similar to winning a national lottery, it's important to know what you are getting into, when considering starting your own venture, or having just got one up. This workshop will introduce the realities of start-up and will identify the fundamentals required when starting up a new venture, understand the key areas a founder should focus on, and map out a pathway to get from idea to business.
Understanding what a Start-Up really is
- Define a start-up – what is it really all about?
- Understand the difference between startups and big companies
- Identify the different stages of startup growth & development
- Identify the most common reasons for start-up failure – understand how to address them
- Identify the difference between an idea, a product / service and a business
- Overview of the essential ingredients of planning for a successful business
The Process of Creating a Business out of an Idea
- Understand that it’s not about the product, but all about the business – and how to create a business from a product
- Understand that commercialization is the pathway from idea to business, and the key stages of commercialization
- Learn what is required to plan and execute a successful commercialization strategy
Business owners who wants to integrate technology, creativity and innovation into their business model and learn the potential to grow.
Anyone who is looking to start their own venture, already got one running and everyone else who wants to know how to run a business proper.
Raiyo Nariman, specializes in commercialization of innovation, technology & intellectual property, and the development, funding & growth of start-ups. As a Venture Manager, Raiyo invests in, and partners with, founders, and takes a hands-on role, from the creation of a startup, through to development & execution of commercialisation & growth strategies, capital raising and international market entry.
Raiyo is a partner in Serendipity Ventures, a Hong Kong-based Asia-focused boutique venture management firm, that invests in early stage ventures and takes a hands-on role to take the ventures to market and build scalable businesses. Raiyo has also established, developed and managed angel networks in Malaysia, Hong Kong and Singapore, and has worked with angel clubs and associations across Asia and the West.
09.00 - 10.00 AM Registration & Breakfast
10.00 - 12.30 AM Workshop : Understanding what a Startup really is
12.30 - 01.30 PM Lunch
01.30 - 03.00 PM Workshop : Fundamentals of Startup Success
03.00 - 04.00 PM Workshop : The Process of Creating a Business out of an Idea
04.00 - 05.00 PM Sharing Success Story session with UMS Alumni
05.00 PM End
Sessions will be focused on presentations in English.
Dress smart but remain casual
Bring along your own laptop for optimal learning
Souvenirs and Certificate of Participations will be provided as well
In collaboration with :
9:00 AM - 5:00 PM MYT
- Auditorium Centre for Postgraduate Studies, Universiti Malaysia Sabah, Jalan UMS, 88400 Kota Kinabalu, Sabah, Malaysia
Standard 20.00 MYR
- Venue Address
- Auditorium Centre for Postgraduate Studies, Universiti Malaysia Sabah, Jalan UMS, 88400 Kota Kinabalu, Sabah, Malaysia Malaysia