Lions Befrienders Presents "Journey through Time @Dakota Crescent"
With Singapore’s increasing ageing population, more seniors are at risk of isolation and loneliness. At Lions Befrienders, we work on the ground to bridge the gap between the elderly and society so that they feel inclusive to age in a community that embraces them gracefully. Through "Journey through time@Dakota Crescent", we hope to bring greater awareness to shed light on the risk of social isolation amongst elderly, believing that the more the community is involved, more care can be showered upon isolated seniors. Together, let's spread the baton of love to more seniors in the community.
Dakota Crescent, built in 1958, one of Singapore’s oldest public housing estates will be vacated by the end of this year to make way for new developments. The real charm of Dakota Crescent stems from its people. After all, it is the people living there that epitomise the heartbeat of this oasis of calm. Presently, the flats are largely occupied by senior residents.
Different from other tours, let the Befrienders & Befriending Staff in Dakota Crescent take you on a personalised tour and experiential journey through this historical precinct. (Dove Playground, Tung Ling SAC, Tian Kee & Co.) And through theirs and the eyes of the seniors they befriend, witness how social spaces have helped to foster a sense of human attachment and belonging for the seniors.
Meet the seniors themselves and have them recount the origins and developments that shape Dakota Crescent - Past & Present. As much as we feel the pity that Singaporeans will lose a part of our architectural history, no one will feel a greater sense of loss than the elderly residents. Hear of their wishes and hopes for the impending move; that although there be a change in their physical living environment, the people will not; and who all hope to preserve their emotional relationships with one another for as long possible.
- Understand the facts & history behind Singapore’s first rented one-room neighbourhood
- Come listen to stories told first-hand from the seniors who live there
- Join us in timeless games and photo corners
- Take photos with the iconic Dove playground before it abolishes. Designed by Khor Ean Ghee, the man behind the majestic Dragon playground at Toa Payoh
- Get a copy of personalised Dakota Crescent guide
- Visit a vacant flat in Dakota Crescent, imbued with British architect flair
- Tuck into light refreshments and engagement time with our seniors
10:00 AM - 1:00 PM SGT
- 9.45am at Mountbatten MRT Station EXIT B for registration
On sale until Oct 5, 2016, 12:00:00 PM
- Venue Address
- Singapore 390010 Singapore
Mountbatten MRT Station (CC7) on Circle Line